Be a good partner. Get yourself educated.
Avalanches are the second most complicated aspect of travel in the snowy mountains. It is your responsibility as a backcountry partner, a husband or wife educator, and to yourself, to get avalanche educated. Start with a Level 1 avalanche course with the Alaska Avalanche School, then take another course and another....
Avalanche Courses in Alaska
Why Hire Joe?
Joe combines a 30-year obsession with avalanches and mountain travel to teach his courses. Despite his strong snow science background, his teaching focuses on practical application of skills and making good decisions for skiing in avalanche terrain. Joe's training includes:
- AMGA certified Ski Mountaineering Guide
- AAA certified instructor
- AAA pro 1 and 2 instructor
- AIARE Level III examined
- AIARE instructor trained
- Internship at the Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center
- Internship at the Silverton Avalanche Forecast Office
- 20 years experience avalanche instructing